Professor of literature and culture; program coordinator, general studies
B.A., Cumberland College; M.A., University of Memphis; M.Div., Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary; Ph.D., Ohio University
Orrick’s professional and academic careers have run in two confluent streams. For about 40 years he has been preaching and teaching the Bible, and he has served as pastor of churches in West Virginia, Illinois, and Missouri. At the same time his lifelong love for literature and language arts has enriched his appreciation for God’s Word and also enhanced his ability to interpret and communicate the Truth. He has taught in several colleges and universities. Orrick has contributed chapter to books on literature, philosophy, and church history. He is author of the books, A Year with George Herbert: A Guide to Fifty-Two of His Best-Loved Poems and Encountering God Through Expository Preaching: Connecting God’s People to God’s Presence Through God’s Word, which he co-authored with Brian Payne and Ryan Fullerton.
- Charles Haddon Spurgeon: A Victorian Hero. Paper presented to the South Central Conference on Christianity and Literature, New Orleans, 1989.
- Charles Haddon Spurgeon: His Life and Theology. Paper presented to the Mid-West Founders Conference, 1999.
- Fine Linen. 1999. Musical recording of original texts as well as texts from George Herbert, John Donne, William Cowper, and John Bunyan.
- The Baptist Catechism Set to Music. 2001. Each of the 114 answers to the Baptist Catechism is set to an original tune or adaptation. Intended to serve an aid to committing the Baptist Catechism to memory. Distributed by Founders Press, Cape Coral, Florida.
- Psalms for Worship Today. 2002. A recording of Psalms 27-34, utilizing the verbatim text of these Psalms as translated in the New King James Version of the Bible. Intended for singing as well as an aid to memorizing these Psalms.
- Plead. 2005. A recording of Psalms 35-37, utilizing the verbatim text of these Psalms as translated in the New King James Version of the Bible. Intended for singing as well as an aid to memorizing these Psalms.
- Review of Richard A. Hasler, Journey with David Brainerd. Morgan, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 2002. The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 8.2 (Summer 2004): 95.
- Review of Peter J. Leithart, Ascent to Love: A Guide to Dante’s Divine Comedy. Moscow, ID: Canon Press, 2004. The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 9.1 (Spring 2005): 101-102.
- Review of Amelia Harper, Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings. Nashville, NC: Homescholar Books, 2004. The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 9.2 (Summer 2005): 86-87.